WildFact
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage (/topic-avoca-male-lions-and-their-male-lineage)

RE: Avoca male lions - Mapokser - 05-25-2024

@GhostCatP-22 The oldest NK male, Ridge Nose's son, looks a lot like Mohawk.

Mix of Mohawk and Hairy Belly.

RE: Avoca male lions - Go131810 - 05-25-2024

(05-25-2024, 09:10 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Hmm quick question how long was darkmane away when he met Mohawk and he wasn’t happy about it?

That was in a different situation. Mohawk was still with Blonde and the Nukhuma pride. After Blonde hopefully rested resting; Dark mane and Mohawk were already close to each other hunting and with their sons from the Nukhuma pride and the young Talamatie male lion. I do not think they happened to see each other.  I think Dark Mane had been trying to be with his brothers. I am not sure how many people remember, because I have read how in the comments people have said what happened before; Dark Mane tried to get back with his brothers and Mohawk did not want him around. After Blonde passed away Mohawk and Dark mane were around each other. I thought I had also seen a video of Mohawk roaring and maybe worried and looking for Dark Mane.

RE: Avoca male lions - Ttimemarti - 05-26-2024

How long was darkmane away from Mohawk and blondie from when he left to when he returned?

RE: Avoca male lions - Mwk85 - 05-28-2024

Sighting of Mohawk from this morning. Was on his own but he looks in good condition.

RE: Avoca male lions - KM600 - 05-28-2024

(05-28-2024, 01:04 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Sighting of Mohawk from this morning. Was on his own but he looks in good condition.

Glad to see him back, hope his sons followed him back North.

RE: Avoca male lions - Go131810 - 05-28-2024

(05-26-2024, 01:29 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: How long was darkmane away from Mohawk and blondie from when he left to when he returned?

I am not sure. On the Talamatie post it does say when Dark Mane stayed with the Talamatie pride.

RE: Avoca male lions - Ttimemarti - 05-28-2024

I think he started to stay with the talamatis in late 2019 and he returned I think at the beginning of 2021 so 1 year and a few months he was gone

RE: Avoca male lions - Ttimemarti - 05-29-2024

It’s so insane how all these avoca males and their sons are all literally in the same situation but they don’t ever seem to find eachother talamati male southern avoca Mohawk the nkuhuma males the plains camp young male shoot even the sand river boys insane but I’m happy the 5 avoca boys have been about to pass on their genes

RE: Avoca male lions - criollo2mil - 05-29-2024

(05-26-2024, 01:29 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: How long was darkmane away from Mohawk and blondie from when he left to when he returned?

Dark Mane injured his Paw in August of 2019. after that Injury, he almost exclusively stayed w the Talamatis. there were several visits w his brothers but he was not received very fondly and wouldnt stay long.

RE: Avoca male lions - NLAL11 - 05-29-2024

The one and only Mr Mohawk on WildEarth this morning. The old boy's starting to show his age. James said that around this age a lion with Bovine TB will start to age more rapidly than a lion without TB.

James also said it was reported that on the 24th May Mohawk was seen with the Southern Avoca male AND the Nkuhuma male. Not sure how accurate that is but there you go.

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Avoca male lions - WildLeonis - 05-29-2024

He’s an old “man” now but he still looks pretty good. He’s what? 11 years old now?

RE: Avoca male lions - T_Ferguson - 05-29-2024

(05-29-2024, 07:28 PM)WildLeonis Wrote: He’s an old “man” now but he still looks pretty good. He’s what? 11 years old now?

With TB most likely yes.  So... He looks great all things considered.

RE: Avoca male lions - Tr1x24 - 05-29-2024

(05-29-2024, 06:58 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: The one and only Mr Mohawk on WildEarth this morning. The old boy's starting to show his age. James said that around this age a lion with Bovine TB will start to age more rapidly than a lion without TB.

90% of lions carry TB, but some doesnt show signs.

He is 11 yrs old, he will show signs of ageing regardless, especially as nomad.

Mohawk never showed signs that he has some kind of disease, unlike his brothers Blondie and arguably DM.

That whole Mohawk has TB started because his elbows looked swollen, which might just be hygroma, and prob is.

(05-29-2024, 07:28 PM)WildLeonis Wrote: He’s an old “man” now but he still looks pretty good. He’s what? 11 years old now?

James said he'll be 11 in November. So he's definitely past his prime.

(05-29-2024, 08:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-29-2024, 06:58 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: The one and only Mr Mohawk on WildEarth this morning. The old boy's starting to show his age. James said that around this age a lion with Bovine TB will start to age more rapidly than a lion without TB.

90% of lions carry TB, but some doesnt show signs.

He is 11 yrs old, he will show signs of ageing regardless, especially as nomad.

Mohawk never showed signs that he has some kind of disease, unlike his brothers Blondie and arguably DM.

That whole Mohawk has TB started because his elbows looked swollen, which might just be hygroma, and prob is.

It was exactly the elbows that James commented on when he talked about Mohawk probably having TB. But he also mentioned the emaciated rear as well. When he was lying down his hips were showing quite a bit, and apparently another sign that they have TB is rapid emaciation in the hips as they get older, that doesn't tend to go away, even when they've had a few good meals.