WildFact
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage (/topic-avoca-male-lions-and-their-male-lineage)

RE: Avoca male lions - Tr1x24 - 12-31-2019

(12-31-2019, 07:32 PM)Potato Wrote: That is not enough to call that their territory. They do not roar which main signal of male lion claiming territory.

Regardless, area in which the 4 N'ws males are for 4 months then, i just want to tell you that S. Avocas are not there and never been seen there, thats southwest of their territory.

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 12-31-2019

The point is no one really knows where they go. They often go out of what we think is their entire territory (that is why rangers of Kirkman's camp presume they have some other pride under controll). I just pointed out what I consider most likely direction of (possible) expansion.

(12-31-2019, 08:40 PM)Potato Wrote: The point is no one really knows where they go. They often go out of what we think is their entire territory (that is why rangers of Kirkman's camp presume they have some other pride under controll). I just pointed out what I consider most likely direction of (possible) expansion.

Im saying you that they are not in those areas where this other 3 coalitions are, because those 3 coalitions are seen regularly there, so the only place where they cam go is east of Kirkman's just as rangers said, in that area is no roads nor camps and because of that they arent seen. If they are going south they would be seen on H1-2/H4-1 where Mantimahles are seen and on other side  on H11/S1 where N'ws are seen,but they where never seen there. Thats my whole point...

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 12-31-2019

On H11 and S1 there are bassicaly no updates as well and the presence of Nwswitshaka males doesn't mean anythink. They are nomadic and yet have no impact on movement of dominant males. We know for sure they are and never have been with Sand River pride. What else they could go for in the east without coming accross Mantimahles? Nothink. Fourways pride as I argued in ealier post doesn't fit there as well.

(12-31-2019, 09:24 PM)Potato Wrote: On H11 and S1 there are bassicaly no updates as well and the presence of Nwswitshaka males doesn't mean anythink. They are nomadic and yet have no impact on movement of dominant males. We know for sure they are and never have been with Sand River pride. What else they could go for in the east without coming accross Mantimahles? Nothink. Fourways pride as I argued in ealier post doesn't fit there as well.

On H11 and S1 near Skukuza and Kruger Gate are sightings , and recently only N'ws males are seen there, and DeLaporte males further south. I repeat again, Avocas where never seen in that area,that far west. I mean rangers from camp see where the males are going,they are going east. 

Fourways pride is east of Kirkman's Kamp, in the past they showed up here and there in Kirkmans Kamp and south MalaMala and returned to Kruger.

Mantimahles are not close east of Kirkman's Kamp, they are further east, abandoning Sand River pride they are pushing further east along H 4-1, and are now mostly around Nkhulu area,towards Lower Sabi, and north on H1-2,half a way towards Tshokwane.  There is a space between Kirkmans Kamp and Mantimahles territory towards the east...

I wont argue with you, i told you how things are rn in that area, if you dont want to accepted then ok, no need to discuss anymore.

RE: Avoca male lions - Blondemane - 01-01-2020

I was talking about this a few weeks back, they are the only dominant males from SS that ventured into kruger areas, they eventually always return but they must have some females friend in that area of kruger, relax guys maybe some more info will come in future. Happy new year to all of you. More interessing things will come in the dynamics of SS lions in 2020.

RE: Avoca male lions - Cunaguaro - 01-02-2020

The Dark-Maned Northern Avoca walks a proud father with his daughter - Cheetah Plains Private Game Reserve, Sabi Sand, South Africa  

- Posted: 1 Jan, 2020.
- Image By: @samuelsebashe

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Avoca male lions - Blondemane - 01-02-2020

DarkMane Avoca, Cheetah Plains 02-01-2020 photo by: Sipps Ranger

*Othawa Male & mangheni female

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 05:02 PM)Blondemane Wrote: South Avoca & Sparta Lioness , Kirkman Kamp 2020

It loooks like Othawa male to my eye.

I tought it was one of the S.Avoca-Sparta because of the location and that scar under left eye...

Same person just upload a photo of a male lion and that its Othawa male for sure... but says Kirkman Kamp. Ty for the correction Potato.

RE: Avoca male lions - Tr1x24 - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 05:58 PM)Blondemane Wrote: Same person just upload a photo of a male lion and that its Othawa male for sure... but says Kirkman Kamp. Ty for the correction Potato.

Prob wrong location, Othawa male and Mhangeni pride is rn back in Sabi Sabi :

Interesting to see lion movements, as 4 N'ws males where in Sabi Sabi around week ago, Othawa with Mhangenis where far north in their old territory, now when 4 N'ws moved back further south, Nguvu and pride returned in Sabi Sabi. Maybe just coincidence but i dont think so.

yes the location fooled me but I already edited the post, ty guys.

ok guys, app the location is correct, Nguvu and mangheni are in Kirkman Kamp.

" At Kirkman's Kamp we are lucky to be situated in the corner of the Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve which borders the Kruger National Park, allowing animals (like lions) to roam freely and visit the Sand River which is the lifeblood of this area during drier times. 
Last year we had 8 different prides of Lions which spent time on the areas we traverse, however this morning we were lucky enough to find a pride which has ventured onto our concession for the first time - the Mhangeni pride with the Othawa male.

A great sighting to start off the Lion viewing for the year 2020."