WildFact
Avoca male lions - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Avoca male lions (/topic-avoca-male-lions)

RE: Avoca male lions - 1ofCourage - 09-06-2022

A tooth abscess from cavities, etc, will really swell up a face and is dangerous and painful.

RE: Avoca male lions - Wyld@Heart - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 05:23 AM)BA0701 Wrote: If I recall correctly, I believe the necropsy on Junior said he tested positive for anthrax. I do hope it isn't that.

That is correct. Anthrax is naturally occurring in the Kruger and is spread primarily over long distances from carcass to carcass by vultures, I believe, which is how lions get affected and Junior was unfortunately a victim to it. It's fairly easy to recognize in lions as the face swells up to what one would imagine a cartoon lion would look like. Anthrax spores are usually released in times of extreme drought which is not the case now having been an unusually long wet season that went into what should be the dry season and typically it would not affect just one side. 

I can't see the video as it only wants to play on Instagram, which I don't have, but going by the comments if it's just the one side of the face then it's probably not anthrax, going my limited second hand knowledge of the disease. Hopefully.

RE: Avoca male lions - afortich - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 10:20 AM)Wyld@Heart Wrote:
(09-06-2022, 05:23 AM)BA0701 Wrote: If I recall correctly, I believe the necropsy on Junior said he tested positive for anthrax. I do hope it isn't that.

That is correct. Anthrax is naturally occurring in the Kruger and is spread primarily over long distances from carcass to carcass by vultures, I believe, which is how lions get affected and Junior was unfortunately a victim to it. It's fairly easy to recognize in lions as the face swells up to what one would imagine a cartoon lion would look like. Anthrax spores are usually released in times of extreme drought which is not the case now having been an unusually long wet season that went into what should be the dry season and typically it would not affect just one side. 

I can't see the video as it only wants to play on Instagram, which I don't have, but going by the comments if it's just the one side of the face then it's probably not anthrax, going my limited second hand knowledge of the disease. Hopefully.

See him in the video below from minute 10:29.

RE: Avoca male lions - BigLion39 - 09-06-2022

Looks like he's in pain in that video. Maybe an abcess or an infection in his sinus cavity? Doesn't look to be anthrax as his face is only slightly swollen on the right muzzle.

RE: Avoca male lions - Wyld@Heart - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 10:58 AM)afortich Wrote: See him in the video below from minute 10:29
Just the one side. Very, very swollen though. Hopefully not affecting how he eats although I think he should be okay. He gave a big yawn around 13:00 so he still has good articulation of his jaw, it just depends how much downward pressure he can attempt without it becoming excruciating. An abscess, if it's that, that doesn't heal and prevents eating will be just as deadly as anthrax. 

But that's literally worst case, it could also be a contact injury that will heal up. I think he will be fine, personally. These animals go through a lot.

RE: Avoca male lions - WildLeonis - 09-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 10:58 AM)afortich Wrote:
(09-06-2022, 10:20 AM)Wyld@Heart Wrote:

See him in the video below from minute 10:29.

It’s been a while since all the Nkuhumas were together. The pride is huge now. I wonder if another breakaway will form.

Mohawk thankfully looks okay. As pointed out he had a big yawn there at the end so his jaw appears to be functioning ok for now, despite the severe swelling. 

That one subadult male is huge. He looks like an adult and a lot like DM mainly due to his already dark mane. It’s really too bad his brother was injured and died. They would’ve been very impressive together.

RE: Avoca male lions - Tonpa - 09-06-2022

On MalaMala today, Mohawk with the Nkuhumas on a Giraffe they took down.
by Panthera Photo Safaris

*This image is copyright of its original author

Dark Mane with the Talamatis!!

RE: Avoca male lions - WildLeonis - 09-06-2022

Great to see DM! And roaring no less. Though it wasn’t a full on bellow like we’ve seen from him in the past but still good to see. The last part of the footage appears to be the Tumbela male? Very impressive.

(09-06-2022, 11:35 PM)WildLeonis Wrote: Great to see DM! And roaring no less. Though it wasn’t a full on bellow like we’ve seen from him in the past but still good to see. The last part of the footage appears to be the Tumbela male? Very impressive.

The last part is indeed the Tumbela male! I also love to see DM roaring!!

RE: Avoca male lions - Tonpa - 09-09-2022

THE NORTHERN AVOCA MALES = 2

In half of the recorded sightings, these males were together with the members of the Nkuhuma pride (detailed in the pride section). Both males were north of the Old Borehole on the 14th. A male was alone 24th at Mlowathi Pans. On the 25th, one male was north of Mlowathi Dam.

RE: Avoca male lions - afortich - 09-09-2022

Dark Mane roaring at minute 1:19.

RE: Avoca male lions - criollo2mil - 09-09-2022

(09-09-2022, 09:14 PM)afortich Wrote: Dark Mane roaring at minute 1:19.

The part from DM was filmed in July.   Photographer released today

RE: Avoca male lions - afortich - 09-09-2022

(09-09-2022, 09:55 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 09:14 PM)afortich Wrote: Dark Mane roaring at minute 1:19.

The part from DM was filmed in July.   Photographer released today

Thanks for the update. I got so excited thinking it was recent.
It looks like the video when the altercation with S8

RE: Avoca male lions - Potato - 09-10-2022

Old video from when Blondie was in great condition