WildFact
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage (/topic-avoca-male-lions-and-their-male-lineage)

RE: Avoca male lions - Horizon - 08-12-2022

(08-12-2022, 01:38 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(08-11-2022, 09:58 PM)afortich Wrote: I saw that video too. The lion didn't bother to look at the jackal Wink
I really like and impressed how @BigLion39 recognize all these lions.

Thanks  for the kind words my friend! I'm really only somewhat ok at recognizing Mara lions tho and there are many people far better than I!!! 

The 1 lion @BA0701 refers to in the video of the 1 big male eating a carcass in the water was the 1 and only Dreadlocks Mapogo!!! 

The other with the jackel testing his luck by biting his tail was the huge boy Lenkisiou, 1 of the 3 Rongai Boys up in Naboisho conservancy!  This video was incredible! Sometimes these animals get overly confident by lions always tolerating them while they eat from a few feet distance.!!!

Come on, man. Don’t be so modest. You are the king when it comes to posting the latest Mara dynamics. 
It might be Dreadlocks and not pretty boy, some brain fog on part of me. 

The kind of confidence Olobor exudes, its just beautiful to watch. Its something DM lacks presently, may be due to his injury. May be these factors could have emboldened hyenas to get closer to DM.

RE: Avoca male lions - Tonpa - 08-12-2022

RE: Avoca male lions - Tr1x24 - 08-12-2022

Are those Kambulas vs DM?

Here is the answer who attacked DM.

RE: Avoca male lions - Tonpa - 08-12-2022

(08-12-2022, 08:51 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Are those Kambulas vs DM?

Here is the answer who attacked DM.

Apparently Nkuhumas and DM from 19th july

RE: Avoca male lions - Tr1x24 - 08-12-2022

(08-12-2022, 08:55 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Apparently Nkuhumas and DM from 19th july

Yea Nkuhumas, as only 1 male is bigger. 

So not recent.

RE: Avoca male lions - afortich - 08-12-2022

(08-12-2022, 08:56 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-12-2022, 08:55 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Apparently Nkuhumas and DM from 19th july

Yea Nkuhumas, as only 1 male is bigger. 

So not recent.

So the mystery continues Wink

(08-12-2022, 12:53 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote:
(08-12-2022, 11:17 AM)afortich Wrote: I don't think DM is in such a bad condition right now.
I watched that sighting live this morning. Ja, he's moving very gingerly and awkwardly, usual front paw stiffness but also seemed to have that stiffness all over. Ribs and spine are visible but seen that worse but what wasn't really noticeable before that is now is how prominent his hip bones are.

He's creaking, sadly, but having said all this he has looked worse and so have others and been fine so chances are he will be too. Hopefully.

Let me clarify what I said above my friend.
It is clear that for a few weeks DM is not looking well. And if you were watching it in person, I would not argue your perception because I only watch videos.
However, I don't think DM's condition is so bad to the point that can't defend himself from a group of hyenas.
I base my opinion comparing DM's condition with the condition of other lions being attacked by hyenas in other videos I have seen before.

I guess DM is getting better!!

DM stole a meal & Mohawk with the Nkuhumas are getting ready to hunt!!

RE: Avoca male lions - WildLeonis - 08-13-2022

DM’s mane is definitely growing back out. Good to see all the N Avoca boys even if they’re not together.

RE: Avoca male lions - BorntobeWild - 08-13-2022

(08-13-2022, 06:30 AM)WildLeonis Wrote: DM’s mane is definitely growing back out. Good to see all the N Avoca boys even if they’re not together.

I actually start to worry about DM. He stole a kill from Tlalamba, but did not eat, just laid down nearby. he was not full plus the way he walked... Something is just not right. Hope I am wrong.

RE: Avoca male lions - Tr1x24 - 08-13-2022

(08-13-2022, 09:28 AM)东方琳琅STD Wrote: I actually start to worry about DM. He stole a kill from Tlalamba, but did not eat, just laid down nearby. he was not full plus the way he walked... Something is just not right. Hope I am wrong.

I said it before, its hard to admit, but age is starting to caught with DM, yes he is only over 9, but just like in humans, lions dont age the same, also we dont know if he has some health problems.

He looks and behaves like typical male out of his prime and battered by old age, on that video, when he submits to buch of Nkuhuma subs, oldest (prob his son) only being 3 yrs old, you know his years are "over". 

How long will he last? We will see, but yea, chances that we will again see DM in his glory is quite low.

RE: Avoca male lions - afortich - 08-14-2022

DM from minute 14:06.

RE: Avoca male lions - BA0701 - 08-14-2022

(08-14-2022, 11:21 PM)afortich Wrote: DM from minute 14:06.

LOL, his reaction time to the bird that flew past could use some work, then the guide saying that he's doing what DM does best, sleep.

RE: Avoca male lions - afortich - 08-14-2022

(08-14-2022, 11:44 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 11:21 PM)afortich Wrote: DM from minute 14:06.

LOL, his reaction time to the bird that flew past could use some work, then the guide saying that he's doing what DM does best, sleep.

That is what, I think, makes DM special and smart, he takes advantage of the situation he's going through "sleep".
Similarly, in the video above there were too many unfriendly Nkuhumas, then, rather be submissive than fight Wink