WildFact
The Birmingham Males - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: The Birmingham Males (/topic-the-birmingham-males)

RE: The Birmingham Males - Potato - 02-06-2020

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: The Birmingham Males - Matimbalani - 03-03-2020

The Londolozi blog has a posted story about the B-Boys and their arrival on the scene:

The Birmingham Male Lions

From the blog post:

Quote:Those who were there saw two full grown male lions, one with a particularly dark and fulsome mane, casually gnawing on the two ton carcass. Not five minutes in, two other male lions of roughly the same size and age, charged in, almost catching them off guard. With a thumping battery of incessant growling, a fight ensued. The bush exploded as white-backed vultures erupted into the overcast sky and spotted hyaenas bolted for cover. Neither coalition backed down as they roared at each other from close quarters, all the while, marauding hyenas whooped for reinforcements.

I am assuming the first coalition was the Southern Matimbas, but who were the second set? The Selatis?

RE: The Birmingham Males - Potato - 03-04-2020

It is really hard to guess lol It must has happened between August 2015 (when BBoy began to asert their dominance) and late 2016 (when they were still coalition of 5). For sure it hasn't been Salatis as they were kicked out of SS long time before that. Only coalitions I can think of are: Majingilanes, Matimbas and Matshapiris. Being "roughly same size" seem to put Matimbas out of suspicion (as Londolozi rangers many times claimed that Matimbas were significantly bigger than males from other two mentioned coalitions), but very well action might have taken place just when Matimbas started to venture into Londolozi and they haven't been yet well known for Londolozi's rangers.

RE: The Birmingham Males - Tr1x24 - 03-04-2020

(03-04-2020, 12:00 AM)Potato Wrote: It is really hard to guess lol It must has happened between August 2015 (when BBoy began to asert their dominance) and late 2016 (when they were still coalition of 5). For sure it hasn't been Salatis as they were kicked out of SS long time before that. Only coalitions I can think of are: Majingilanes, Matimbas and Matshapiris. Being "roughly same size" seem to put Matimbas out of suspicion (as Londolozi rangers many times claimed that Matimbas were significantly bigger than males from other two mentioned coalitions), but very well action might have taken place just when Matimbas started to venture into Londolozi and they haven't been yet well known for Londolozi's rangers.

I think 2 of them are definetly Matimbas, other 2 prob some Majingilanes ( they said 1 of them had very dark mane, so they either reffering to Dark Mane or HB) this is around the time when Matimbas vs Majingilanes warfare started.

RE: The Birmingham Males - Potato - 03-04-2020

(03-04-2020, 02:02 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 12:00 AM)Potato Wrote: It is really hard to guess lol It must has happened between August 2015 (when BBoy began to asert their dominance) and late 2016 (when they were still coalition of 5). For sure it hasn't been Salatis as they were kicked out of SS long time before that. Only coalitions I can think of are: Majingilanes, Matimbas and Matshapiris. Being "roughly same size" seem to put Matimbas out of suspicion (as Londolozi rangers many times claimed that Matimbas were significantly bigger than males from other two mentioned coalitions), but very well action might have taken place just when Matimbas started to venture into Londolozi and they haven't been yet well known for Londolozi's rangers.

I think 2 of them are definetly Matimbas, other 2 prob some Majingilanes ( they said 1 of them had very dark mane, so they either reffering to Dark Mane or HB) this is around the time when Matimbas vs Majingilanes warfare started.

I agree that is most likely option, but I wouldn't count out Matshapiris that easly. 

"Matimbas vs Majingilanes warfare started"

By that time Majingilanes had warfare with Matshapiris as well.

RE: The Birmingham Males - Peteporker - 03-05-2020

(03-04-2020, 11:33 PM)Potato Wrote:

I agree that is most likely option, but I wouldn't count out Matshapiris that easly. 

I think it was Matimbas vs. Matshapiris. The two Matshapiris have really dark mane (completely black) and have been described as almost the same size as the Matimbas or not much smaller than them. It was also the Matshapiris that expelled HB and Ginger from Sabi Sands during that time.

RE: The Birmingham Males - Tr1x24 - 03-05-2020

(03-05-2020, 12:48 AM)Peteporker Wrote: I think it was Matimbas vs. Matshapiris. The two Matshapiris have really dark mane (completely black) and have been described as almost the same size as the Matimbas or not much smaller than them. It was also the Matshapiris that expelled HB and Ginger from Sabi Sands during that time.

Matimbas vs Matshapiris clashes happened in late 2016 in MalaMala, but yea, we dont know exactly,they might be.

RE: The Birmingham Males - Potato - 03-05-2020

(03-05-2020, 12:48 AM)Peteporker Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 11:33 PM)Potato Wrote:

I think it was Matimbas vs. Matshapiris. The two Matshapiris have really dark mane (completely black) and have been described as almost the same size as the Matimbas or not much smaller than them. It was also the Matshapiris that expelled HB and Ginger from Sabi Sands during that time.

Londolozi in its blogs claimed Matimbas to be significantly bigger than Matshapiris. Also guide from MalaMala said that Matimbas were deffinitely bigger than Matshapiris .

RE: The Birmingham Males - Potato - 03-05-2020

(03-05-2020, 12:58 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 12:48 AM)Peteporker Wrote: I think it was Matimbas vs. Matshapiris. The two Matshapiris have really dark mane (completely black) and have been described as almost the same size as the Matimbas or not much smaller than them. It was also the Matshapiris that expelled HB and Ginger from Sabi Sands during that time.

Matimbas vs Matshapiris clashes happened in late 2016 in MalaMala, but yea, we dont know exactly,they might be.

They shared border for long time before that so they for sure could have such minor run in.

RE: The Birmingham Males - Tr1x24 - 03-06-2020

Mfumo leading the way with his brothers Tinyo and Nsuku in 2018:

That Mfumo look, just amazing. Cant wait for his son Styx male to grown up, he will be a spitting image of Mfumo:

RE: The Birmingham Males - Matimbalani - 03-06-2020

(03-06-2020, 06:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Mfumo leading the way with his brothers Tinyo and Nsuku in 2018:

That Mfumo look, just amazing. Cant wait for his son Styx male to grown up, he will be a spitting image of Mfumo:

The Sytx boy looks huge for his age. He should find a partner, may be the Nkhuma Boy to keep things in the family.

RE: The Birmingham Males - 239Pu - 03-07-2020

RE: The Birmingham Males - sik94 - 03-09-2020

https://www.facebook.com/181324685890740/videos/501452750544597/?sk=h_chr

RE: The Birmingham Males - Tr1x24 - 03-09-2020

Young Tinyo in Timbavati, in 2014:

RE: The Birmingham Males - sik94 - 03-12-2020

#TBT Birmingham boys coalition #Londolozigamereserve Date: February of 2015
Try and guess who these males are…
This was a pair of the then-very-young Birmingham coalition, poking their noses onto Londolozi and tracked down by Rob Hlatswayo. They were seemingly in an exploratory phase at this time, and we regularly found tracks of them being chased back north by the Majingilane. Eventually the younger Birmingham coalition got the message and stayed north, biding their time it seems, as although they are now down to two (there were five of them when this picture was taken), they are dominant over prime lion habitat along the Sand River on Londolozi.
By: James Tyrell