There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In what groups we can divide the Bengal Tiger?

India Vinay Offline

I think Bengals broadly divided into two groups Sunderban and rest!  Lol

*This image is copyright of its original author

If you saw above figure you will notice most concentration of tigers in three regions Westersn Ghats,Central Indian Jungles and Himalayan foothills (Nepal and Bhutan tigers are not included in the above pic) 

So my guess is Four:

Terai region (Entire Himalayan foothills)

Central India

South India

and

Sunderban.
2 users Like Vinay's post

India Rishi Online
Smile  ( This post was last modified: 05-10-2017, 02:51 PM by Rishi )

Assumptions & opinions aside..how much CONCRETE INFORMATION do we have till  now on this topic..?? 
(I am producing all the info i have, with sources)
  • Tigers residing the high hills of Bhutan might or might not show any local adaptation, no studies done..only speculations.
  • Tigers of Sunderban are visibly different in size & stature..They also weigh less, with ever recorded max. being a megre 172kg. BUT were confirmed to be genetically similar to the central India population. ( http://indiasendangered.com/sundarban-ti...ral-india/ )
  • As far as the rest of India is concerned, it's more-or-less confirmed, that the Northernmost population (contagious to the rest until recent artificial segregation by expansion of Technosphere in India's northern plains) are of greater average size, that keeps reducing towards India's Southern tip. No data on genetic differences..yet.

PS: The "Western Indian Tiger Landscape" of Ranth (~60), Kuno(10+) & Sariska(20-25) populations have ALL tigers sourced from only a dozen cats...

https://bigcatrescue.org/wild-tigers-bec...oo-inbred/ )

http://www.ranthamborenationalpark.com/b...nthambore/ ) ..& thus, looks similar.
In the wild, expect the unexpected, as we humans haven't really much clue of what to expect.
2 users Like Rishi's post

Asia/Pacific Region parvez Online

I think corbett tiges are different group based on certain facial phenotypic features. @Rishi The article says North east tigers are unique and it would be interesting to see if their genetic profile matches with that of Indo chinese tigers', it is not confirmed to be containing indochinese genes. But neverthless they are different group. Bhutan tigers resemble Indochinese tigers in some phenotypic features. They must be seperate group. Northeast group must be containing genes that have indochinese genes indeniously admixed to form completely different genotype. Central Indian and sunderban are seperate group as you said. I was certain from beginning that ranthambore tigers are inbred. Western ghat tigers must be seperate as they have nilgiri biosphere where genetic exchange occurs. Eastern ghat tigers must be one group. Tigers from kashmir must be containing some siberian or caspian genes from russia, afghanistan, china etc. Tigers across borders must be containing different genotypes. Considering caspian and siberian are similar groups, these tigers must have one genotype. But these are just opinions.
1 user Likes parvez's post

India Rishi Online
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2017, 08:07 PM by Rishi )

(05-09-2017, 09:28 PM)parvez Wrote: I think corbett tigers are different group based on certain facial phenotypic features. @Rishi The article says North east tigers are unique and it would be interesting to see if their genetic profile matches with that of Indo chinese tigers', @parvez it is not confirmed to be containing indochinese genes. But neverthless they are different group. Bhutan tigers resemble Indochinese tigers in some phenotypic features. They must be seperate group. Northeast group must be containing genes that have indochinese genes indeniously admixed to form completely different genotype. Central Indian and sunderban are seperate group as you said. I was certain from beginning that ranthambore tigers are inbred. Western ghat tigers must be seperate as they have nilgiri biosphere where genetic exchange occurs. Eastern ghat tigers must be one group. Tigers from kashmir must be containing some siberian or caspian genes from russia, afghanistan, china etc. Tigers across borders must be containing different genotypes. Considering caspian and siberian are similar groups, these tigers must have one genotype. But these are just opinions.

Valid point.. my original post edited.
&
Try not to put so many "must be"s........   Whistle
In the wild, expect the unexpected, as we humans haven't really much clue of what to expect.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

(05-10-2017, 02:48 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 09:28 PM)parvez Wrote: I think corbett tigers are different group based on certain facial phenotypic features. @Rishi The article says North east tigers are unique and it would be interesting to see if their genetic profile matches with that of Indo chinese tigers', @parvez it is not confirmed to be containing indochinese genes. But neverthless they are different group. Bhutan tigers resemble Indochinese tigers in some phenotypic features. They must be seperate group. Northeast group must be containing genes that have indochinese genes indeniously admixed to form completely different genotype. Central Indian and sunderban are seperate group as you said. I was certain from beginning that ranthambore tigers are inbred. Western ghat tigers must be seperate as they have nilgiri biosphere where genetic exchange occurs. Eastern ghat tigers must be one group. Tigers from kashmir must be containing some siberian or caspian genes from russia, afghanistan, china etc. Tigers across borders must be containing different genotypes. Considering caspian and siberian are similar groups, these tigers must have one genotype. But these are just opinions.

Valid point.. original edited.
&
Try not to put so many "must be"s........   Whistle

What do you mean? There is more scope of my points to be wrong? I am confused

India Rishi Online
( This post was last modified: 05-11-2017, 01:00 PM by Rishi )

@parvez On the contrary...
Yes indeed, intially i thought your analysis to be too farfetched with too many assumptions. However after i did some research, i found YOUR classification to be the closest to the one used by WII & NTCA!!!..
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/2926...s-in-India )

Can't say about genetic diversity... but these are the metapopulations considered for conservationmrelated purposes.

Also, read this...( http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article...ne.0174371 )
2 users Like Rishi's post

@Rishi Great information there. Thanks a lot. I too read the pdf articles and check for some important points only after which I come to conclusion on anything. My personal opinion surely must be atleast close to reality.
2 users Like parvez's post

Here I forgot to say philibit, rajaji, corbett tigers must be one group based on size. But corbett tigers seem to be different subgroup in it it has unique facial facial phenotypic features. Rest of terai must be one group. I feel Andhra tigers belong to one subgroup. Odisha tigers another subgroup based on size. So serious genetic research must be carried out to confirm all these.