There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tarzan 2016

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2016, 05:26 PM by brotherbear )

Edgar Rice Burroughs published 24 Tarzan novels, the first in 1912. During my growing-up years, I read them all, most more than once. The first Tarzan movie appeared in 1918. Up until about 1970, Tarzan movies were very popular but started dying off after that. Jane Goodall grew up as a big fan of the books which she says greatly inspired the direction she took during her life. She was however not much of a fan of the movies. Steve Irwin grew up loving the old Tarzan movies which certainly played a role in his activities as a boy and later in his adult life. I never heard him mention the books.
There were no Tarzan movies, to my knowledge that I missed. I have yet to see one that portrays the character to my satisfaction comparable to the literary Tarzan. I have high hopes for the upcoming Tarzan movie. 
egendoftarzan.com https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj7ty6sViiU
3 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

*This image is copyright of its original author

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

It bodes well...
3 users Like Spalea's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

As I have read all 24 Tarzan novels, and Edgar Rice Burroughs was very descriptive, it is a well known fact that Tarzan has black hair. Would it have been too much trouble for Hollywood to dye his hair? If he were playing the role of Geronimo or Sitting Bull, wouldn't Hollywood consider hair color? 

2 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-22-2016, 11:28 AM by sanjay )

Grizzly Enthusiast

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/...d=11661362  

How Samuel L. Jackson brought history to Tarzan role

Grizzly Enthusiast

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/movies...share&_r=1   

When Alexander Skarsgard was a boy in Sweden, his father, the actor Stellan, introduced him to a favorite character. And when Alexander grew up, he decided to play him.

“My dad is the biggest Tarzan fan ever, and we watched the old Johnny Weissmuller movies when I was a kid,” Mr. Skarsgard, 39, said. “So I was super excited about the idea of playing Tarzan. And I was curious: This is a story that’s been told 100 times over the past 100 years. What’s their take on it?”

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

I just finished watching the movie.

To be honest, I had a lot of prejudice against it, mostly coming from what I had seen in the trailer of the way gorillas were portrayed. That's why I hadn't bothered to watch it until now.

Well, it is a great movie. Extremely entertaining, and the wildlife is very well portrayed, although they still miss to get the sounds right, including the chest beats. But that's understandable in some way.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

I would love to see it on the big screen, but simply not able to leave the house for that length of time. No one here to take responsibilities. I will have to wait for the DVD.

Grizzly Enthusiast

Finally, I watched Tarzan this morning on pay-per-view. Since in my younger years I read all 24 novels, each more than once, I found plenty of discrepancies. But over-all very near to the classic literary character. By the way Tshokwane, the great apes are not gorillas. In the fictional novels, the apes are of a fictional species called the mangani. From the very first Tarzan story published in 1912, Tarzan was very popular up until right about 1970. His books were the only books outselling the Bible world-wide. His movies always drew a big audience. 
It was education of the "real Africa" and better knowledge of the "real animals" that finally ended the Lord of the Jungle's reign. I give this Tarzan movie a big thumbs up.

Grizzly Enthusiast

The news of the Bili ape in the year 2000 brought excitement to many die-hard Tarzan fans who saw these giant chimps as the lost species called the mangani.

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(02-10-2017, 09:44 PM)brotherbear Wrote: By the way Tshokwane, the great apes are not gorillas. In the fictional novels, the apes are of a fictional species called the mangani.

Yes, I know that. It's just that they have always been represented as such in tv, particularly in the movie for kids. Considering that I like Gorillas so much, I loved to see Kerchak as the mighty Silverback in that animnated movie.

And I agree, the Mangani were portrayed very well.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Wildanimal Lover

I didn't see the movie, but by watching the trailers, I think that the gorillas are very similar to those of the trilogy "The planet of the apes" (Rise of the Planet of the Apes, 2011, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, 2014, and War for the Planet of the Apes, 2017). Only an opinion...
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

(02-11-2017, 04:23 AM)Spalea Wrote: I didn't see the movie, but by watching the trailers, I think that the gorillas are very similar to those of the trilogy "The planet of the apes" (Rise of the Planet of the Apes, 2011, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, 2014, and War for the Planet of the Apes, 2017). Only an opinion...

Yes, the gorilla-like mangani were computer-graphic animation ( I'm sure there's some technical terminology ).
1 user Likes brotherbear's post

Wildanimal Lover

(02-11-2017, 04:52 AM)brotherbear Wrote:
(02-11-2017, 04:23 AM)Spalea Wrote: I didn't see the movie, but by watching the trailers, I think that the gorillas are very similar to those of the trilogy "The planet of the apes" (Rise of the Planet of the Apes, 2011, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, 2014, and War for the Planet of the Apes, 2017). Only an opinion...

Yes, the gorilla-like mangani were computer-graphic animation ( I'm sure there's some technical terminology ).

Yes agree... I remember having seen a trailer with the lions which are computer-graphic animation. In fact I believe that all wild animals are computer-graphic animation.
2 users Like Spalea's post