There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Felines Hunting

Norway Jubatus Offline

*This image is copyright of its original author

Leopard With Sambar Kill, Rhanthambore NP
1 user Likes Jubatus's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

2 users Like Apollo's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

Jaguar hunting a caiman

United Kingdom Safaricam Offline
Wildanimal Lover
Tongue 

Have posted this already in the leopard forum, but then found this one too..

Leopard catches gazelle in the Masai Mara

2 users Like Safaricam's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'Safaricam dateline='' Wrote: Have posted this already in the leopard forum, but then found this one too..

Leopard catches gazelle in the Masai Mara

I love that hunt! One of my top 10 hunting videos!  Thanks for posting! [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

3 users Like Pantherinae's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-27-2014, 10:07 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author

Very impressive kill by a Cougar! An adult elk stag! Cougars seems to take down massive and more impressive prey than leopards.

Very funny that you would say that since I have numerous debates about this.
They absolutely do not take larger prey. Zebra, Wildabeast, Rhino Babies, etc. are all as large as any Puma prey taken. Leopards also drag these large carcasses up trees which Cougars do not. There is a reason the Panthera are catagorized in their own class. Leopards have much larger Muscle mass, skull size and claws. They are the better built predator. 
That being said, cougars do take very impressive prey, that is for sure. 

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

A leopard dragning an adult zebra, wildebeest up a tree? No way, that's a myth! 
Leopards can hardly drag it's own Body weight up, I have seen large male leopards fail dragning up a half eaten warthog and impala up a tree, but still that's amazing! 
Also I have never seen a leopard even atempt attacking a zebra, I have once seen it kill a quite large wildebeest, but a big male leopard beeing chased away by a mother wildebeest when she defended her calf. I think a male leopard would beat a cougar even if The cougar had a weight advantage, but a leopard is adpted to be 2nd in The food change almost anywhere it lives (Lions, tigers, hyenas, bears etc), and has probably been adpted to kill smaller prey it can drag up a tree before it get's stolen, by hyenas or Lions! I have seen leopards kill kudu's, but from what I have seen on all The multiple videos, it's mostly warthog's small to medium sized gazzeles, and antilopes. 
A cougar killing a adult elk stag, who is bigger than a wildebeest is quite impressive! And when hunting Maybe The cougars bigger size plays a bigger factor. 

1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2014, 03:56 AM by Pckts )

(09-08-2014, 02:27 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: A leopard dragning an adult zebra, wildebeest up a tree? No way, that's a myth! 
Leopards can hardly drag it's own Body weight up, I have seen large male leopards fail dragning up a half eaten warthog and impala up a tree, but still that's amazing! 
Also I have never seen a leopard even atempt attacking a zebra, I have once seen it kill a quite large wildebeest, but a big male leopard beeing chased away by a mother wildebeest when she defended her calf. I think a male leopard would beat a cougar even if The cougar had a weight advantage, but a leopard is adpted to be 2nd in The food change almost anywhere it lives (Lions, tigers, hyenas, bears etc), and has probably been adpted to kill smaller prey it can drag up a tree before it get's stolen, by hyenas or Lions! I have seen leopards kill kudu's, but from what I have seen on all The multiple videos, it's mostly warthog's small to medium sized gazzeles, and antilopes. 
A cougar killing a adult elk stag, who is bigger than a wildebeest is quite impressive! And when hunting Maybe The cougars bigger size plays a bigger factor. 

I never meant they haul adult Wildabeast and Zebra up trees, meant they kill them plus haul prey twice their body weight up trees as well.

They kill adult Wildabeast and Zebra, both equally as large as a elk. They haul prey almost twice their body weight up trees.
If a cougar were strong enough to haul prey up trees, they would. They compete against equally as formidable foes, Grizzlies, black bears, Wolf packs etc. Their carcasses are stolen from them same as a leopard.
When comparing them to each other, the facts are this
Leopards have much larger muscles in their fore and rear quarters,
longer claws and fangs, much larger skulls with more muscles mass and a higher bite force.
They weigh almost the same, cougars may weigh slightly more, but we are talking about 10-20 pounds, yet even with this weight advantage, they are far less muscular. Cougars are a larger framed cat with longer and thinner limbs. 

This is a old debate, I have researched it many times. Leopards are the better weaponized cat, plain and simply. 
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

TThey kill bull eland, adult Zebra, Wildabeast, Giraffe calf, Rhino Calf (which they have carried up trees) and other large prey. Every bit as large as a elk, larger in the Bull Eland Case
http://animalsversesanimals.yuku.com/top...AzWbSgSo20
Quote:"Elliot (in Cullen 1969) was shown a fully grown Eland Bull that was killled by a large leopard. By back-tracking he found the Eland was one of a herd that was passing along a track in a cedar forest.

[blockquote]"The leopard had jumped on the eland bull from a tree above the track, and the victim had at once dashed downhill. The eland had fallen down twice but had managed to get on to its feet again. But on the third occassion the leopard had succeeded in holding the animal down and finally killing it. In the downhill rush and whole struggle the leopard had lost a lot of hair on trees and bushes. It had seemed that the leopard had managed to kill the eland by biting into the windpipe area, and suffocation was thought to be the main cause of death. Damage to the elands neck vertabrae must have occured during its repeated falls. While the only tooth marks were on the elands throat, there were many claw marks on the flanks, and it seemed the leopard had been on top of the eland all the way down. The warden put half the eland carcass in a nearby tree and - and the following evening - spotted the biggest leopard he had ever seen, with its forehead all bare and bloody. From all the evidence it was certain that the leopard had killed the bull eland without assistance.[/blockquote]

In this instance, the size of the prey far exceeded the normal, but the instance illustrates what an accomplished killer the leopard can be. On another occassion a female eland was found felled by a leopard within twelve meters of being pounced upon; in this case the claws were imbedded in the neck and the teeth in the nose."

East African Mammals By Jonathan Kingdon

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

That eland storry is very old, and I doubt it ever happed, many of those old storries are Often very spectacular and like The storries of dholes killing a male tiger aswell, just dosen't make sence to me! Leopard can probably drag a little over his own weight Nothing more! Also to me a a leopard killing an adult zebra does sound extreame! Zebras are no joke! And aswell as I have never seen a leopard attacking a adult zebra, just young once, and some pictures of a leopard eating an adult zebra as he may aswell can have scavanged. 

A cougar and a leopard is evolved differently, and cougars do not have nearly The same competition as leopards, The density of Lions and hyenas aswell, as bears are not dangerous for a cougar, if not it catches The cougar. And bears are not as aggressive towards other carnivores and dosen't look at cougars as competition The same way a lion Looks at a leopard! and on wolf park can have so big territoriers and The packs are smaller than a hyena clan, aswell as almost all The adult members are joining when they are patroling their territory, while hyenas are splitting up in smaller groups, and aswell as a single hyena is far more an dangerous aponent than a wolf! A cougar can have it's carcass on The ground for days until it's spotted by another carnivore! 

A single cougar vs a leopard my money is aswell on The leopard, but I don't think a leopard will take down as large prey as a cougar! 

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2014, 05:31 AM by Pckts )

Ya, ya, it proves you wrong so you doubt it happened. I know, same story different day. 

Here's a adult Zebra account kill with Picture as well!

"A few days ago a rather large male leopard killed a zebra right next to one of the roads. Since then people have been popping into the area every now and then with only the occasional sighting. What we found however blew our minds!"

We edged towards the kill and there was one of the largest males I have ever seen feeding on his kill.
http://animalsversesanimals.yuku.com/top...AzwhSgSo20

Btw, that thread has photos of a leopard making a eland kill. Wink

I assume you will find some way to refuse this as well.

Don't even start on Bears vs Cats either, Bears are the largest predator, extremely aggressive and territorial and the most dangerous animal to any big cat!
The dhole claim isn't worth commenting on.
You are not comparing apples to apples, just changing topics to try and discredit a real account, same with the Rhino or Elephant predation accounts. You need to accept when you are wrong about something and move on or offer up real proof to back your claims instead of saying they are not true because you don't agree with them.  

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

First of all. I'm not wrong when I'm not proven wrong pckts. Not once have that happend! And I'm okey beeing wrong, if proven so. But on The rhino thing and different stuff I'm not, and can't You be okey with me not beeing proved so easaly! You should not belive everything You read neiather. 

No pictures of leopard killing an eland only a Kudu. 

On The zebra account, thanks that was very impressive, sadly we can't see The whole zebra! Again I would like to add something i'ts not that I'm saying a leopard can't kill a zebra or wildebeest, but I don't think it can ever happen.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Also did not compare The bears against cat's, but said a bear is not as aggressive towards another carnivore as a big cat would be! A Big bear would smack any lion and tiger anyway no contest... So that's not what I'm saying, just that on a open plain a cougar would rather meet a bear than a lion/tiger!

Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-08-2014, 05:47 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: First of all. I'm not wrong when I'm not proven wrong pckts. Not once have that happend! And I'm okey beeing wrong, if proven so. But on The rhino thing and different stuff I'm not, and can't You be okey with me not beeing proved so easaly! You should not belive everything You read neiather. 

No pictures of leopard killing an eland only a Kudu. 

On The zebra account, thanks that was very impressive, sadly we can't see The whole zebra! Again I would like to add something i'ts not that I'm saying a leopard can't kill a zebra or wildebeest, but I don't think it can ever happen.

"i'ts not that I'm saying a leopard can't kill a zebra or wildebeest, but I don't think it can ever happen."

Looked like a Eland in the picture, my mistake. You can clearly see the Zebra's rump and can tell its a full grown large speciman.
The accounts that go wtih it, you obviously are wrong on this statement. 

"You should not belive everything You read neiather"

Says the guy that says christines emails were not true and says that the other guys email (forgot his name) are true, even though he wasn't there for the capture and christine was. 

Look, youre contridiction yourself with statements like those.
Back to the topic at hand.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I don't think it happens Because they would lose such a large prey to other carnivores, and why hunt adult zebra in Africa when there is so much easier prey! 

Well it's not that I don't belive Christine, but I do also belive Almero who is a ecooligist and said he and a vertrenarian weighed The specimen, aswell as The people at Timbawati said it was weighed and that Christine had Nothing to do with this lion, probably different Lions.. And also what has that to do with old storries? Who has suddenly stoped happening..