There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hoofed Predators

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

(04-24-2016, 07:34 AM)tigerluver Wrote: A lot of prehistoric species we don't have a true "average" figure for. There are usually less than a handful of worthwhile specimens that certainly cannot properly represent the entire population. For A. simus, we fortunately do have a lot of bones and the average for males was likely 700-800 kg off the top of my head, but I might be remembering wrong. There is only A. angustidens specimens, so no average can be given here. I am not aware of how many Sarkastodon specimens there are to say anything on their averages.

A.simus, in my opinion, was more of 600 kilograms. Also, I would place A.angustidens at 850 kilograms. Sarkastodon would be at 800 kilograms as already decided.
4 users Like Polar's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

Daenodon - predator or scavenger?

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like brotherbear's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2017, 08:21 AM by epaiva )

Archaeotherium Skull

- Length of skull 53,5 cm
- Wide of skull 43 cm
- Length of upper canine 8,2 cm
- Length of lower canine 6,5 cm
8 users Like epaiva's post

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2017, 12:34 PM by Kingtheropod )

I find the skull of Entelodonts and Andrewsarchus to be very different. The skull of Andrewsarchus does not have the protruding boney cheeks like you see in the Entelodont skull. I believe it was a closely related but distinct group. Due to this, I think that there is no reason to believe Andrewsarchus shared the same proportions of Entelodonts.

Also, the teeth on Andrewsarchus look more carnivorous then that in Entelodonts. The back molar teeth in Daeodon are flat, made to chew plant material, but the teeth on Andrewsarchus are tapered and more pointed, designed to crush bone like hyena molar teeth. This indicates that if they are in fact relatives, it seems that these branch of ungulates started out as carnivores, eventually evolving to become more and more omnivorous.

https://lgsquirrel.files.wordpress.com/2...uscast.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c..._skull.jpg
4 users Like Kingtheropod's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

Maybe the Entelodonts were more omnivorous?
3 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-12-2017, 07:41 AM by epaiva )

Entelodon deguilhemi

Skeleton and reconstructed life appearance of the entelodontid Entelodon guilhemi: The anatomy of European entelodonts was almost completely unknown until the finding of abundant cranial and postcranial remains of Entelodon guilhemi at the site of Villebramar, France. This material shows the animal to have been quite large, with a height of 1,35 m at the shoulders and a skull 65 cm long. Broadly piglike in appearance, entelodons differed from true suids in having a completely fused radius and ulna, as well as the tibia and fibula, and in having lost the lateral digits, thus being didactyl. A nearly complete skull and mandibles show the clear resembrances between the skull of Entelodon deguilhemi and species of the American genus Archaeotherium. Both animals had elongated heads with flaring zygomatic arches and mandibles with bizarre, knobby ventral projections. The wear of their tusklike canines shows they were used for biting large objets, not only for display and occasional intraespecific fighting, as in pigs and hippos.
3 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-02-2017, 10:43 PM by epaiva )

Daenodon
Credits to Spencer Lee in Denver Museum of Nature & Science, Frankie Wilder in Dever Museum of Nature & Science and to Lee Hall in Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh

5 users Like epaiva's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

I have searched the internet for pig evolution and ancestral pigs - and came up empty. Is the origin of the pig family ( genus sus ) a complete mystery?
4 users Like brotherbear's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-27-2018, 11:29 PM by epaiva )

Archaotherium skeletons
Credit to @laelaps

6 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-29-2018, 09:50 PM by epaiva )

Daenodon

3 users Like epaiva's post

Canada Wolverine Away

Daeodon shoshonensis by Roman Uchytel
https://www.newdinosaurs.com/roman-uchytel/

4 users Like Wolverine's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

I consider Daeodon as being a very impressive omnivore. A prehistoric beast worthy of respect.
4 users Like brotherbear's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-27-2018, 07:44 PM by epaiva )

Daeodon at Nebraska State Museum
Credit to @paleeoguy

Y
2 users Like epaiva's post

Malaysia johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

I think Entelodonts are omnivorous, a little bit like a hippo. Hippos are known to consumed meat on occasions.
2 users Like johnny rex's post

Malaysia johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-27-2018, 08:10 PM by johnny rex )

(03-28-2017, 06:16 AM)epaiva Wrote: Daenodon 

Entelodonts look impressive, almost like the mammalian version of Tyrannosaurus rex with similar big head that walk on all-fours. Pay attention to the forward facing eyes, they must be formidable predators at times.
3 users Like johnny rex's post