WildFact
Massive Great White - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Aquatic Animals and Amphibians (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-aquatic-animals-and-amphibians)
+--- Thread: Massive Great White (/topic-massive-great-white)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Massive Great White - epaiva - 08-22-2017

Measurements of teeth of Great White Sharks of specimens that measured from 3,79 m to the 5,94 m long. Informatiion taken from the book GREAT WHITE SHARKS The Biology of Carcharodon carcharias (A. Peter Klimley and David G. Ainley)

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Massive Great White - GrizzlyClaws - 08-22-2017

The largest prehistoric GW tooth is about 8 cm.

Some estimation puts this individual at 6-7 tons?

RE: Massive Great White - epaiva - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 07:41 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: The largest prehistoric GW tooth is about 8 cm.

It was a huge Shark a lot larger than present day Great White Shark, it must have been over 8 meters long

RE: Massive Great White - GrizzlyClaws - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 03:21 PM)epaiva Wrote: It was a huge Shark a lot larger than present day Great White Shark, it must have been over 8 meters long

Indeed, a large female individual like this can go head on against a bull orca.

RE: Massive Great White - chaos - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 09:38 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 03:21 PM)epaiva Wrote: It was a huge Shark a lot larger than present day Great White Shark, it must have been over 8 meters long

Indeed, a large female individual like this can go head on against a bull orca.

Smart money would still be on the bull Orca. Too damn smart for any fish, comparable in size or not. Just my humble opinion

RE: Massive Great White - Pckts - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 07:41 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: The largest prehistoric GW tooth is about 8 cm.

Incredible

RE: Massive Great White - GrizzlyClaws - 08-23-2017

(08-22-2017, 10:19 PM)chaos Wrote: Smart money would still be on the bull Orca. Too damn smart for any fish, comparable in size or not. Just my humble opinion

The orca is smarter, but when it comes to the devastating bite, the giant GW might possess an edge.

The orca's teeth are also very powerful, but the shark's jaw is more like a meat mincer, so it is more effective to bleed its opponent to death, while orca's crushing teeth could be a little less devastating against the shark's cartilage.

(08-22-2017, 11:22 PM)Pckts Wrote: Incredible

It is a size comparison between the Megalodon/Prehistoric GW/Modern GW.

RE: Massive Great White - Pckts - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 12:45 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 11:22 PM)Pckts Wrote: Incredible

It is a size comparison between the Megalodon/Prehistoric GW/Modern GW.

It's unreal, what a shark Megalodon must of been.

(08-23-2017, 12:54 AM)Pckts Wrote: It's unreal, what a shark Megalodon must of been.

This image does translate into something like that.

Megalodon: 60 tons
Prehistoric GW: 6 tons
Modern GW: 1 ton

RE: Massive Great White - Pckts - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 01:18 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 12:54 AM)Pckts Wrote: It's unreal, what a shark Megalodon must of been.

This image does translate into something like that.

Megalodon: 60 tons
Prehistoric GW: 6 tons
Modern GW: 1 ton

And a whale shark is only around 20 tons, hard to believe the Megalodon could of been 3x's its size.

(08-23-2017, 01:32 AM)Pckts Wrote: And a whale shark is only around 20 tons, hard to believe the Megalodon could of been 3x's its size.

The largest Megalodon is at least 5 meters longer than the largest whale shark, and it is also proportionally heavier.

RE: Massive Great White - chaos - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 02:59 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 01:32 AM)Pckts Wrote: And a whale shark is only around 20 tons, hard to believe the Megalodon could of been 3x's its size.

The largest Megalodon is at least 5 meters longer than the largest whale shark, and it is also proportionally heavier.

Just curious as to the weight of a full grown bull Orca. Various estimates range from 6-10 tons. They are quite powerful and agile swimmers.
Hypothetically speaking, I'm sure the path of Killer whales pods and the giant Megalodon have crossed. The outcome of a such an encounter
piques my interest, for sure. The level of intellect and group interaction/cooperation amongst Orcas is a fascinating subject. Anyhow, I'll try
to keep on topic going forward.

Here is the analysis from Guate, since we cannot prove the eligibility of the alleged 10 tons orca from various online sources, but 7-8 tons for a huge alpha male in the wild seems to be reasonable.

http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-largest-recorded-orca

RE: Massive Great White - peter - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 04:31 AM)chaos Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 02:59 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:

Just curious as to the weight of a full grown bull Orca. Various estimates range from 6-10 tons. They are quite powerful and agile swimmers.
Hypothetically speaking, I'm sure the path of Killer whales pods and the giant Megalodon have crossed. The outcome of a such an encounter
piques my interest, for sure. The level of intellect and group interaction/cooperation amongst Orcas is a fascinating subject. Anyhow, I'll try
to keep on topic going forward.

In Eden (southeastern part of Australia), there is a museum dedicated to a male orca. Quite some time ago, there was an alliance between local fishermen and a pod. This was in the days of whaling. The orcas drove passing whales into the bay, where they were killed. The firshermen took what they wanted and the orcas got the parts they preferred.

Hunting whales was risky business. More than once, a boat was destroyed. In the cold water, the fishermen often were surrounded by orcas. Not one fishermen was ever killed by a shark. In spite of the orcas, white sharks entered the bay at times. Some years ago, I posted a photograph of a female white shark killed just a few feet from the shore. She was just under 18 feet and mighty big.

The pod leader was called 'Old Tom'. When the days of whaling were nearly over, Old Tom died in the bay. His body was dragged into the harbour. I saw his bones in the museum. The skeleton had a total length of about 22 feet. A local reporter did a lot of research and wrote a book. I bought it. Very interesting.

Orcas don't play the piano, but the writer was amazed at what he discovered. Intelligence has many faces.

Different regions produce different orcas. Some are large, whereas others more or less compare to adult white sharks. In a museum, I thought it was Berlin, I saw the jaw of Megalodon. Insane. At that size, there would have been no need for any kind of cooperation.

White sharks, in contrast to what many seem to think, cooperate at times. I saw congregations of males in the waters surrounding New Zealand in a documentary. There are detailed reports of white sharks hunting in pairs. Some people were taken by a pair in Southern Australia. What do we know?