WildFact
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions (/topic-history-s-most-brutal-killers-the-majingilane-male-lions)

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - vinodkumarn - 06-27-2017

(06-26-2017, 11:18 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(06-26-2017, 10:29 PM)vinodkumarn Wrote: I don't think Avocas are strong and confident enough to challenge Majis

Sure they do, if it's a 2 vs only Dark mane.

If 2 Vs 1 they may dare to attack
(06-26-2017, 10:29 PM)vinodkumarn Wrote: I believe It's Matimbas..

How? They haven't been seen, that I'm aware of.

It's my guess and read in FB one of the posts. It's all speculation only as of now.
Also as it is close to Majis territory I believe Avocas don't dare to go that far
Lets wait for Londolozi blog

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - T Rabbit - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 12:13 AM)sik94 Wrote: It must have been the avocas. Darkmane has superficial wounds while the other two are untouched, Darkmane probably ran into one of the avocas and they probably had a go at each other. couldn't it also be the injured matshpiri thoug
i think it was a fight between the own majingilane brothers. maybe dark mane and golden mane. cause i read the mala mala report and they said nothing about injuries over avocas and matshapiri males. beides that dark mane has no back or leg injuried, only scracthes on face next his bad right eye. the same place where golden mane blinded his right eye months ago. typical from brothers fight. the avocas just left londolozi when the majingilanes arrived. there was no fight.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - Tshokwane - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 04:40 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: i think it was a fight between the own majingilane brothers. maybe dark mane and golden mane.

The thing with sibling fights is that they last, literally, seconds. Dark mane had some good gashes on him, so I think it was more serious than just a brotherly fight. Besides, their ladies are in the west, and brothers fight among them when there's women present or food, and if you check one of the instagram videos I posted a link of, they look quite lean instead of bloated(should they have been feeding). 

So, 1- No lady in heat to fight for(not of the prides they control at least)
and 2- no meal to fight for(something that Dark mane would have won anyway. He's always first in both of those things).

(06-27-2017, 04:40 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: beides that dark mane has no back or leg injuried, only scracthes on face next his bad right eye.

You're right on that. 
But what I think it indicates, rather than a siblings fight, is that he charged the rivals on his own, like he did with the Matimba males, and fought alone until his brothers arrived and the rival/s ran away.
Dark mane's injuries weren't on his back or legs, like you very well say, so he wasn't runing or in a defensive position(losing). So that means, possibly, that he was the one attacking.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - sik94 - 06-27-2017

The scratches on Darkmane's face seem a bit too serious for them to have come from a coalition member. And yeah there were no scratches on his legs or the back, but that could also be because it might have been an one on one confrontation. In one on one fights they usually don't get the chance to attack the spine or the hind-legs, they just go after each other's face with their claws.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - jacksonsmash - 06-27-2017

JUDGING BY THE INJURIES IT  SEEMS THAT THE AVOCAS WERE BACKING AWAY AND LASHING OUT AT DM AS HE CHARGED THEM - YOU ALWAYS SEE THAT SORT OF THING WHEN SUBMISSIVE LIONS ARE CHARGED BY MORE AGGRESSIVE DOMINANT MALES - THE CHARGING MALE TAKES SOME SWATS TO THE FACE

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - sik94 - 06-27-2017

How Long Can the Majingilane Last?

by James Tyrrell on June 27, 2017  0

Once more the roars of three lions, not two, were heard in the chill dawn air. It could only be the Majingilane.

Waking at intervals through the night, like a diver occasionally coming up for air, it was a relatively simple thing for many of the rangers and trackers to chart the progress of the Majingilane as the lions marched in from the north-west, bellowing as they came. Assembling on deck before sunrise, the conversation amongst guides and guests was naturally going to lean towards the current lion dynamics and the ever-more-frequent forays of the three Majingilane back into the Londolozi heartland. Hearing their roaring swell in volume and then recede as dawn approached, it was a relatively straightforward thing for the field team to isolate the area in which they were, and it wasn’t long before Callum Gowar and Shadrack Mkhabela found them moving steadily through the thickets to the south of the Maxabene riverbed.

*This image is copyright of its original author

This time, however, something was different. The battle-hardened faces bore fresh cuts. Blood dripped off the chin of the Dark-Maned male, and the male with the scar nose showed similar signs of a battering. Gone was the aura of invincibility that these for have long worn like a cloak.

It is believed that the dark-maned male’s right eye was already blind, so further injury to it through a fight would not be the worst thing that could happen. Photograph by Callum Gowar

The scar-nosed male showing cuts in an eerily similar place to the dark maned male.

The honest truth is that these males aren’t looking like the invincible group they once were.

Obviously being one-down from their previous make-up has made them more vulnerable, but their reactions to what is happening around them are slowly starting to lose that competitive edge. Yesterday morning the two Avoca males were found, again in company with two Ntsevu lionesses, and the Majingilane’s line of march came directly from where the younger males had been. We had assumed that a large part of the reason the Majingilane have been coming back has been to establish a buffer between their territory and the encroachment of the Avoca pair, yet yesterday morning, when a loud series of growls from an interaction between the Avoca males and one of the lionesses was heard, the Majingilane simply continued on their way without reacting. And the growling wasn’t that far off.
I remember back in 2011 when they were newly dominant, and tracker Like Gumede trailed them down to the southern parts of Londolozi in 45 minutes of brilliant track following and anticipation; all four Majingilane were together, when suddenly in the distance we heard the roar of another male lion. Four heads shot up, and within seconds the coalition was in full charge in the direction of the roar, which from the sounds of it was at least a couple of kilometres away. We soon lost them in the Dichrostachys thickets as they continued at full speed, but my point is how they reacted to the slightest hint of the presence of another male; with instant aggression. Yesterday morning they didn’t.

If they are coming back now to ward off the encroachment of the Avoca males, why were they simply retreating yesterday morning, when the Avoca males were still nearby, and audible.

In terms of the Ntsveu lionesses, mating with them would not be the genetic first prize for the Majingilane, as the six females are their daughters. Inbreeding in lions is not uncommon, but obviously not ideal for the continued genetic health of a population. After many months without contact, just how much recognition there might be between the Majingilane and the Ntsevu lionesses is difficult to say, but an encounter would very likely be approached with hesitancy by both sides.

This takes us back to the buffer theory, and the Majingilane simply trying to establish a sort of no-mans land between their core territory and any other threat.

The scar-nosed male follows behind. Although I don’t have a photo of him here, the missing-canine male was also sporting cuts on his face.

I guess the only real question now is who were they really fighting with to sustain such gashes? The Avoca males seemed relatively unscathed yesterday morning. Reports of the sound of lions fighting east of Mala Mala Main Camp reached us, and we know the Matshipiri males had been somewhere in the area. The Birmingham males have also been seen a couple of times pushing south onto Londolozi soil, so cannot be ruled out, especially given the distances that male lions can walk through the night.

Many facial cuts sustained by male lions – and indeed lions in general – are received when fighting amongst each other over carcasses, but the presence of this coalition far out of their usual territory, roaring through the night, tied in with the sounds of lions scrapping, all seem to point towards a confrontation of some kind with rivals.

With the Matshipiri coalition seemingly broken, and no-one yet having witnessed an actual Majingilane-Avoca clash, this all just conjecture until something more concrete is seen.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - Tshokwane - 06-27-2017

I have to agree with their assesment, in fact I was already considering the option of the Birmingham males(so much for them being called passive) as the ones that could have fought with the Majingilane.

Despite being young and strong, the Avoca males would be so strong to, not only cause injuries on the trio, but also to come out of it uninjured.

(06-27-2017, 06:42 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: I have to agree with their assesment, in fact I was already considering the option of the Birmingham males(so much for them being called passive) as the ones that could have fought with the Majingilane.

Despite being young and strong, the Avoca males would be so strong to, not only cause injuries on the trio, but also to come out of it uninjured.

That's definitely a possibility albeit unlikely. The Birminghams already have a massive territory to patrol and usually are split into pairs or just on their own, I don't think they would go to londolozi looking for trouble unless it was all 4 of them. The healthy matshpiri is still around so he is another possibility.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - vinodkumarn - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 06:42 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: I have to agree with their assesment, in fact I was already considering the option of the Birmingham males(so much for them being called passive) as the ones that could have fought with the Majingilane.

Avocas ran away from Majis recently in Othawa's territory and more recently (a week ago) in Londolozi/MalaMala
Still I dont think its Avocas if all 3 Majis were involved in fight.. It could be Birminghams.. ..May be Matimbas.. not certain.. everything is speculation...

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - Michael - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 06:57 PM)sik94 Wrote:

That's definitely a possibility albeit unlikely. The Birminghams already have a massive territory to patrol and usually are split into pairs or just on their own, I don't think they would go to londolozi looking for trouble unless it was all 4 of them. The healthy matshpiri is still around so he is another possibility.

The Avoca males are not big enough and they are only two, there is only one healthy Matshapiri male so the Birmingham´s is the most likely answer now it would be nice to have an update just to see how they are.

"The Birminghams already have a massive territory to patrol and usually are split into pairs or just on their own"
From what I´ve seen on safarilive they used to split into pairs but they have been grouping as three and one of them patrols alone normally the one alone is seen around Djuma and the other three are the ones that go south so it could have been an encounter between those three and the Majingilane

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - bdg79 - 06-27-2017

Only supositions...the healthy Matshapiri dosent stand ă chance against 3 Majins, the Avoca males likewise, therefore must have been at least 2 strong males that fought the Majingilanes.

May be its Mantimahle males who are venturing into sabi sands in recent past

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - T Rabbit - 06-28-2017

Somebody have any news about the bboys? cause i cant see anything posting nothing about them after that majingilane battle news! maybe majingilanes have killed or injuried one of the bboys!

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - T Rabbit - 06-28-2017

The majingilanes are crazy to kill someone!!!! they have unfinished issues with many males in the area. avocas and matshapiris!  mala mala thinks that they entered last night there looking for to avocas or matshapiris to kill. mala mala fresh news:
 "We were abruptly awoken just before 5am by the deafening roars of lions in front of Main Camp... As we followed up we came across the 2 Avoca males and 2 lionesses from the Kambula pride, walking westwards at a brisk pace. By the looks of it these lions had not taken part in the overnight brawl as they were free of fresh battle-scars. Tracks of 2 large male lions were located coming into MalaMala from the west, just north of our Airstrip and they were making a bee-line to the area in which the separated Matshipiri males were last seen. Although we never located the makers of the tracks, odds are it was most likely the Manyelethi males!...This leads us to believe that the fight we heard was between the fuller-maned Matshipiri male and 2 of the Manyelethi males."
  the amazing majingilane (manyeleti) males are crazy beasts! they have unfinished issues with matshapiris and avoca males! and if the bboys cross their way they will get them too! when people expected that they will loose the temper with the advance age they are doing the opposit! what a legendary trully warriors they are!

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - Michael - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 03:53 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: The majingilanes are crazy to kill someone!!!! they have unfinished issues with many males in the area. avocas and matshapiris!  mala mala thinks that they entered last night there looking for to avocas or matshapiris to kill. mala mala fresh news:
 "We were abruptly awoken just before 5am by the deafening roars of lions in front of Main Camp... As we followed up we came across the 2 Avoca males and 2 lionesses from the Kambula pride, walking westwards at a brisk pace. By the looks of it these lions had not taken part in the overnight brawl as they were free of fresh battle-scars. Tracks of 2 large male lions were located coming into MalaMala from the west, just north of our Airstrip and they were making a bee-line to the area in which the separated Matshipiri males were last seen. Although we never located the makers of the tracks, odds are it was most likely the Manyelethi males!...This leads us to believe that the fight we heard was between the fuller-maned Matshipiri male and 2 of the Manyelethi males."
  the amazing majingilane (manyeleti) males are crazy beasts! they have unfinished issues with matshapiris and avoca males! and if the bboys cross their way they will get them too! when people expected that they will loose the temper with the advance age they are doing the opposit! what a legendary trully warriors they are!

Well I guess the mistery is solved did they manage to kill the matshapiri male ?